The two-storeyed Blockhouse was erected in the centre of the existing Upper Hutt settlement, and had associated earthworks and a stockade. Although the earthworks and stockade are no longer visible, the building’s features such as local tōtara weatherboards, gravel-filled walls, and balistraria, or loop holes, through which guns could be fired, are still present.
The Blockhouse was occupied by a small militia from late 1860 until May 1861, but saw no action. From 1867, the building was used as the local police house, courthouse and residence.
Blockhouse Lane, Trentham, Upper Hutt 5018, New Zealand