During the 1950's and 1960's the architectural division of the Ministry of Works designed several modernist government buildings. This included Bowen State Building which opened in 1962, named after Sir George Bowen, Governor of New Zealand from 1867–1873.
Work began in November 2016 to redevelop Bowen State Building into a modern, efficient, and cost-effective workspace for the public sector. Completed in 2019, Bowen State Building is leased until 2037.
Bowen State Building is a 10-level office building, with two basement levels, ground and 10 upper levels. The redevelopment includes an 8,500sqm extension to the eastern side of Bowen State Building, taking the floor plate from 1,440sqm to 2,800sqm on the lower levels and 1,500sqm on the upper levels.
The redevelopment, designed by Warren and Mahoney, includes a new facade alongside seismic strengthening to 100% of National Building Standard, new lifting systems and mechanical services and new modern base build fit out.
The new lobby and ground floor food and beverage will activate the ground floor space fronting onto Parliament’s sculpture garden creating a destination within the Parliamentary precinct.
Defence House is managed by Precinct.
34 Bowen Street, Pipitea, Wellington 6011, New Zealand